Here’s an interesting round. Its called the 50 Razorback. It uses a .300 RUM case that is basically cut off at 2.375 and then has a .50 caliber bullet stuffed into it. It’ll take anything from 350 grains up to the .50 BMG super whiz bang bullets an push them out fast enough that it has enough foot pounds of energy to kill any thing on Earth that breaths.
I built this rifle using a Remington 700 that was chambered for the .300 Remington Ultra Mag (RUM). Since that is the parent case of the Razorback, I didn’t have to do anything other than swap the barrel out. The barrel started out life as a blank. It was rifled, so I cut it and profiled it and then fluted it with the hopes of making it light enough to carry and be able to shoot from the shoulder. While its not a light rifle, shooting it from the shoulder isn’t that big of deal.
I used an HS Precision stock, and the Mark X trigger adjusted to 3. pounds. It’s wearing a tactical Leupold MK3 4×14 scope. The scope mounts were drilled out to 8-40 just to be safe. It balances right behind the bi-pod and it looks heavier than it is. The barrel is 26″ long and its got a muzzle brake on it that I built to tame it somewhat.
The real beauty of this rifle is the cartridge can be loaded with cast bullets and can be shot of as little as 50 cents a round depending on the bullets. Since most .50 rifles shoot bullets that cost several dollars a piece, the economy of this thing is what makes it stand out. Although I haven’t killed a wild hog with it yet, reports from others that have say that it kills them right there…there is no running off into the brush.
I’ve been told that either 50 Alaskan dies or 50-110 dies will work, after a few days of searching the net there were none to be found. So, I ordered a set of .300 Ultra Mag dies, and I’ll have to either modify them or build a bullet expander and crimper from scratch.
As of this writing I don’t have them yet, but when I get them I’ll elaborate a bit more.
I had a local shop Duracoat it and they did an excellent job. The finish is uniform and it looks good. Here’s a picture of it. What do you think?
March 9, 2014
An update on the dies. I received a set of Lee .300 RUM dies. After talking to a couple of friends that own the .50 Razorback, they were using those dies to make them work. While the situation was less than ideal, they did manage to load up some bullets to shoot.
So, after checking them out, it doesn’t look like it will be as big a deal to make them work as I thought it might be. The decapping die will work as it is. Although it has a .308 size button on it to resize the cases after they are deprimed, for the moment I am going to leave it as it is. I may consider making a sizing stem that matches the .50 RZBK case, if its needed. Basically it’ll look the same as the .308 sizing stem with about a .507 or .508 button on it to give a couple of thousanths of tension when seating the bullet.
I will have to modify the bullet seater. It almost worked as it was, but the bullet seating stem is about a quarter on an inch too short. I think I’ll make another about a 1/2″ longer. It’ll need a step on it to keep it from falling through the dies but a piece of .375 rod turned down to the hole size in the die (.313) will work nicely I think.
That’s it. Not too much work to do. Since I cant find the other .50 dies that will work as is, this seems to be a simple solution.